You are here: Home > Message Boards > Food Talk >  Vegetarian Food >dosa / idli batter
Food Talk  Discussion Forum

Vegetarian Food:dosa / idli batter
2005-11-30
Name: shalmali padgaokar hi guys
i would like to make dosa ans idlis could somebody let me know the batter required for both as i think they are different..... as well as the south indian style green chutney its served with
thanks
Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2005-12-23
Name: ramya
Subject:  hi shilpa
this is ramya n iam new to this board.i read all the mails . the receipes are great but for the set dosa dont we need to add urad dal?please let me know.and to all the other members its hi from ramya once again.
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2005-12-02
Name: aasharao
Subject:  dosa/idli
Hi here is the dosa recipe,do try & let me know
Urad dal- 1glass
rice-3glasses
methi seeds- 1 tsp( for crispy dosas)
soak urad dal, rice& methi seeds for 6hrs and grind to smooth paste +salt,u can add water upto your required batter consistency.
let this batter ferment overnight.you can serve dosas along with coconut chutney & greenchutney.
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2005-12-03
Name: shals
Subject:  yumm
it was yummmm i did make it though i dont the the proper green chutney to serve with it but the dosas were nice
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2005-12-02
Subject:  dosa/idli
hi shalmali aasha here again,do try out this recipe its really works out well
For Idli
urad dal-1glass
idliravva-2glasses( if u don't get ravva u can make use of boiled rice ravva also)
methi seeds - 1tsp
1.soak urad dal+ i tsp of methi seeds for 6 hrs (like if u soak in the afternoon u can grind it in the evening or noght)
2.soak ravva just before grinding urad
dal
grind urad dal to a smooth paste and mix it with soaked ravva + salt,let the batter be bit thick .....let this batter ferment overnight and make idlis the next morning.
Note: you can add a handful of cooked rice while grinding the urad dal for smooth idlis.

2005-12-05
Subject:  idli/dosa
hi shalmali
I am in India and i don't have any idea where do u get those ravvas there!! one thing u can do is u can grind boiled rice to fine ravva if u don't feel it difficult.If u have any Indian store there, u can make a try to get it.

2005-12-03
Subject:  thanks
could you please tell me are these idli rawas and boiled rice rawas available in the US .....cause if u r here and i can get it could you please tell me the brand so i could get it

2005-12-02
Name: Shilpa Suryavamshi
Subject:  Set Dosa/Appam
Hi Shalmali,

This is a recipe for set dosa/appam.
This dosa is quite popular in south india. It small in size, very soft and very tasty. Hope you like it.

2 cups of rice
3/4 cup of poha
1/2 tsp of methi seeds
2 tblspn of curd/yogurt
1tspn of salt
pinch of soda
For garnishing
1 cup of grated carrot
1 cup of chopped fresh corriander

Soak rice,poha and methi seeds for 4 hrs. Grind them into fine paste. Let the consistency of the batter be little thick. Dont make it watery.
Add salt and soda. Ferment the batter overnight.

Before making dosas, beat the yogurt/curd and mix in the batter.
Heat the tava on a medium flame, brush the tava with cooking oil/ghee. Then pour the batter into the tava. Dont spread the batter let it be thick and small in size(pulka size).
Optional-Garnish with grated carrot and chopped corriander on the upper side.

This dosa is very tasty and soft. Can be eaten with veg kurma/saag and chutneys.

Hope u enjoy them.

2005-12-02
Subject:  Set Dosa/Appam
Hi Shalmali,

This is a recipe for set dosa/appam.
This dosa is quite popular in south india. It small in size, very soft and very tasty. Hope you like it.

2 cups of rice
3/4 cup of poha
1/2 tsp of methi seeds
2 tblspn of curd/yogurt
1tspn of salt
pinch of soda
For garnishing
1 cup of grated carrot
1 cup of chopped fresh corriander

Soak rice,poha and methi seeds for 4 hrs. Grind them into fine paste. Let the consistency of the batter be little thick. Dont make it watery.
Add salt and soda. Ferment the batter overnight.

Before making dosas, beat the yogurt/curd and mix in the batter.
Heat the tava on a medium flame, brush the tava with cooking oil/ghee. Then pour the batter into the tava. Dont spread the batter let it be thick and small in size(pulka size).
Optional-Garnish with grated carrot and chopped corriander on the upper side.

This dosa is very tasty and soft. Can be eaten with veg kurma/saag and chutneys.

Hope u enjoy them.

2005-11-30
Subject:  Soft and tasy idlis
1 cup of urdhal
2 cups of rice or idli rava
small cup of cooked rice
5-6 methi seeds
1 tspn of salt
pinch of soda

Soak urdhal, rice and methiseeds for 6 to 7 hrs.
YOu can soak the cooked rice for 15 minutes before grinding.

First grind urdhal into a fine paste. Then grind the rice, cooked rice and methi seeds (u can grind coarsely -this will result into rava idli)
Let the batter consistency be thick. Dont make it watery.

Let the batter ferment overnight.

Morning you add salt and soda to the batter. Apply ghee to the idli plates or pouches. Pour the batter into idli plates/pouches.
Cook for 12 minutes.

Your idli is ready. It will turn out soft and tasty.

If you are using Idli rava.
Just soak the idli rava for 1 or 2 hrs.
After you grind urdhal with cooked rice and methi seeds, drain the idli rava and mix into the batter.

Hope you enjoy them!

2005-12-03
Name: Shilpa
Subject:  Dear Shals
Dont bother about the steam overflowing..it is ok..orelse if u have a vessele which is got a lid, u can keep the idli stand and steam it..

2005-12-03
Subject:  dear shilpa
without the whistle on how to i stop the steam from flowing out secondly my cooker is the one where the lid goes inside to close not the regular one which closes from outside

2005-12-02
Subject:  yes u can..
Yes u can use the steel/metal plates. U can cook them in pressure cooker but , dont put the cooker weight/whistle.

2005-12-01
Name: shalmali
Subject:  thank a million
thanks a lot for the idli recipe i will try it the last time i made it it turned out soggy and didnt comepletely cook from inside .....i have the metal idli plates can i put them in my regular pressure cooker ....how do i go abt it could you please help

2005-11-30
Name: Tanswap
Subject:  Dosa
Hi shalmali,

For Dosa I take two cups rice and one cup urad dal and it turns out just like south indians make.I will pass on the chutney recipe later.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
By the way where are you?India or us?I am in USA.
Bye,
Tanswap

2005-12-01
Name: shalmali
Subject:  hey
thanks a lot for the dosa recipe im in the US in TN how abt u

All tips on Food Talk
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
dosa / idli batter

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Food Talk
& Answers to Topic :
dosa / idli batter

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Food Talk
& Answers to Topic :
dosa / idli batter

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
RE:Hello anyone from kakinada
Hi i am hearing this place for the very first time. However, if you are fine you can surely share the information with us we will help you out if at all we can in some or the other ways.... - Brahmi [View Message]
RE:first time egg eater
Hi with time you will be able to eat it. During the start you will face trouble. Or else tell doctor to provide you some other option rather than egg. something in veg itself which will stay helpful for you.... - Manju [View Message]
RE:What are you makin today for dinner
Hi Riya, not yet decided here in dubai we have weekend today so might be going out with family for dinner. Most of the people here go for dinner ith their family on thursdays to enjoy the weekend.... - Beejal [View Message]
RE:Hello anyone from kakinada
I have heard the name kakinada for the very first time in my life and i am sorry if i offended anyone but why can you now share it with other people too? What is it about and is it very important?... - Kanak [View Message]
If you want to gain weight then you should not worry about it and eat 2 whole eggs everyday in any form like boiled or omelet. Too much of anything even if healthy, is not right and you should eat everything in limits. ... - Hardika [View Message]
RE:What are you makin today for dinner
I did not make anything special today. Only my daughter was going to be home for lunch so i just made some jeera tadka rice and kidney beans. My daughter loves kidney beans and can eat it everyday without any complain.... - NN [View Message]
There are 2 types of cholesterol and one need to have the knowledge about what is good and what is not to be healthy. The yellow part of the egg has cholesterol but the good one and you don't need to worry if you eat limited eggs.... - NN [View Message]